Adult Awards Scheme
Their is a number of Good Service awards available to adults in the Scouting movement.
- The Chief Scout’s Commendation for Good Service is given in respect of not less than 5 years good service, which stands out. It should be regarded as the Chief Scout’s recognition of the very real contribution made to the Association by the individual concerned. (No citation required but be worth including a short paragraph on why you feel the person deserves the award)
- The Award for Merit is given for outstanding service of not less than 12 years and 10 years exceptionally. It implies keen, conscientious, imaginative and dedicated service over a sustained period. (No citation required but be worth including a short paragraph on why you feel the person deserves the award)
- The Bar to the Award for Merit may be awarded after a period of not less than five years of further outstanding service. (No citation required but be worth including a short paragraph on why you feel the person deserves the award)
- The Silver Acorn is not normally awarded until after at least an Award for Merit has been gained and a further five years’ service has been completed. Thus, it is seldom awarded for less than 20 years service, which should be specially distinguished and appreciably better than outstanding. (Detailed Citation is required to justify the application for an award)
- The Bar to the Silver Acorn may be awarded for at least a further 5 years of similarly distinguished service. (Detailed Citation is required to justify the application for an award)
- The Silver Wolf is the unrestricted gift of the Chief Scout and is only awarded for service of a most exceptional nature although the Chief Scout will usually consult the Awards Board before awarding it. It is not normally awarded until at least a Silver Acorn has been gained. In practice this means that it is seldom awarded for less than 30 years service although, because it is the Chief Scout’s unrestricted gift, no length of service is prescribed. (Detailed Citation is required to justify the application for an award)
The deadline for ST Georges Day Awards (Silver Acorn, Bar to Silver Acorn and Silver Wolf) is mid August. Application for any awards should be made using using the Awards Application Form. This should then be passed for approval as shown below.
- Leader/Commissioner Holds an appropriate Wood Badge for there role ie ADC/GSL needs to have completed GCA training.
- District Approval by District Commissioner
- County Approval by County Commissioner
- Northern Ireland Approval by Chief Commissioner
- Awards Board in London
This document may help you when you start applying for the various awards. Applying for Awards
In addition to the national awards scheme there has now been an award added which is managed locally
Commissioners Commendation Award
As you are aware the Scout Association has launched the Commissioners Commendation Award for uniformed and non-unformed members 16 years and above. Please find attached our nomination form which needs to be completed and sign by the appropriate person and returned to the Office for my approval. There is no formal criteria or length of service for this Award however it should not be handed out like sweets or the National Awards be overlooked in favour for this one. As only the County Commissioner can apply for the badges and certificates we now have a small stock of cloth and pin badges in the County Office. Certificates will be ordered as and when required from the Print Centre to be presented locally by the County Commissioner’s nominated representative.
Please apply for a commissioners Comendation using this application form Commissioners Commendation